Special Permits


Registration is simply a process of entering traveler’s details including a name, contact number, address, nationality and other basic details, especially in the case of a calamity. If you are travelling to Ladakh by road or by air, you will be registered at certain entry points. Travelers who fly to Leh need to get registered at the Leh airport. Travelers coming by road on the Manali- Leh highway or Srinagar Leh highway will need to get registered at Rumtse and Sarchu (Manali Leh highway) and Drass (Srinagar – Leh highway).

Permit requirements for Indian nationals

Indian nationals no longer require Inner Line Permits (ILP) for most places on the tourist circuit in Ladakh post May 2014. At several check points like South Pullu en route to Khardung-la and Nubra valley, you will be required to furnish a copy of your ID proof and fill up a form before you can carry on to your destination. With a proper ID proof, you will be able to access Pangong Tso lake, Dha and Hanu villages, Khardung-la, Merak, Man, Tso Moriri, Turtuk, Nubra valley (up to Panamik), Loma Bend, Nyoma, Tyakshi, Tangyar (only for trekking) and Differ La.

Places that still require an Inner Line Permit

Even though a number of areas are now easily accessible, there are still some where Indian nationals need an Inner Line Permit. These are: Batalik sector, Chumur, Hanle, Tsaga, Chushul, beyond Loma Bend and Marsimik La.

Permit requirements for foreign nationals, OCI, PIO, NRIs

Foreign nationals, persons of Indian Origin and Non Resident Indians required a Protected Area Permit (PAP) issued by the Government of India to get access to restricted areas. A foreign national, still need to apply for a PAP to visit Pangong Tso, Nubra Valley, Tso Moriri, Dha – Hanu villages. You can apply for a PAP through a registered travel agent in Ladakh. PAP is valid for seven days from issue and needs to be reissued after expiration. Make photocopies of the PAP as you need to submit them at various check points.

How to obtain permits

A PAP (Protected Area Permit) can be obtained from the office of the Deputy Commissioner in Leh which is located in the main town. The local travel agent or your hotel staff can provide the forms for the required permits. For getting permits the forms can be downloaded from the internet and are also available at local photocopy shops near the DC office.

State Express will provide you all the assistance for permits, if you are travelling with us.